Indigo's Monthly Writing Challenge: October

Hey Guys!

So, I think I'll probably be doing this every month (unless there's a theme that I don't like or don't know how to do) and I encourage you all to do the same. If you do, I'll share the brownies with you that I baked for Indigo (Don't worry Indigo, I have a loooot :D)

Anyway, on with the story!!

Just a quick warning; this story's not gonna have a happy ending, like allll of my other stories, because the theme is Halloween, but I might write a second one, just because it's so interesting XD


The Night of the Dead.

I woke up. It was late morning, and Halloween began tonight. I shivered; Halloween wasn't normal in this town, the town of Mors. Centuries ago, in 1692, a witch cursed the town. She cursed it so that every night, on Halloween, the monsters would come out. Wanting flesh, blood and bones. It always began at night, at six pm. Everyone had to be inside by then, otherwise they'd meet an unbearable fate, worse than death. As a teenager, though, I've watched some of my friends die pretty gory deaths, because they were dumb enough to try to survive out there.
“Janine! You up yet?!” My Mother's voice tore me away from my thoughts.
“Coming Mum!” I yelled back. I got dressed and headed downstairs.
“There you are! Ready for our Halloween chores?” She said with a small smile.
“Can I have breakfast first?” I asked.
“Of course! Come outside when you're ready.” She walked outside, and I could hear her singing as she hung garlic from the doorway, and nailed silver to the door. As I ate, I wondered how it was possible that she could be so happy on this dreadful day, especially after what happened to Dad.
I didn't remember this, but this is what apparently happened to Dad.
We were riding home from a nearby town. We had hoped to get there before six, but we didn't. We had put up the defences early, so we ran to the door. Dad held off Harpies while Mum fumbled with the keys. She unlocked it, pushed me inside and turned around just as Dad got carried off by one of the Harpies. Another kicked Mother back, and flew inside. They scratched me, across the eye, while trying to carry me off, too. But Mum wouldn't allow that. She closed and locked the door, and grabbed a nearby Frying Pan. The Harpy was dead within fifteen minutes.
I washed my plate and headed outside. Mum was already nailing silver and garlic to the door frame, humming as she worked.
“So...” I said, announcing my arrival. “What should I do?”
“Well, you could put the Wolfsbane around our lawn.” Mum replied with a smile. I nodded and reached down to pick some up. “Wait!” Mum said, and I stopped, stood up, and looked at her curiously. “You'll need these. Wolfsbane is deadly to everything, including humans.” She handed me a pair of thick, leather gloves.
“So.. Ryan would be immune then?” I asked, and Mother laughed. Ryan was a friend of mine, who I'd grown up with.
I put on the gloves and planted the Wolfsbane around our lawn. I'd researched the stuff, and apparently it's called many, many weird names, including Women's Bane and Blue Rocket.
I finished planting the Wolfsbane around our lawn a couple of hours later, and walked over to Mother. It was getting close to Halloween's beginning; 4:30 Pm. I saw a couple of people go inside and lock their doors.
“Do you think you could get to the church to get some Holy Water in time?” Mother asked me, nervously.
“O' course, after all – I am known for my speed.” I smiled.
“Be careful, and hurry back.”
“Hurrying is what I do best.”
I took off, running as fast as I could. It was 5:30 when I arrived. The church was closed. My heart pounding, I ran back, as fast as I could, though I knew I would not arrive on time. I ran to my door and pounded on it, yelling out for my Mother, though she knew better. She was crying as she came to the window. I put my hand on the glass, and she did the same. Tear striken, I pounded on the door, though I could tell it was making it worse for Mother.
I pounded on it for thirty minutes before they noticed.
I felt someone... something, grab my waste. I closed my eyes, waiting for the searing pain, and then the end. But instead, I heard a voice.
“Well... What have we here?” A male's voice said. I screamed, tears running down my face. “A poor little girl, known for her speed, was finally late. And it cost you your sanity.. How.. sad..” I kicked and thrashed, but the thing held tight. I yelled out for help, knowing no one would come. I knew it was no hope. He moved closer and closer.
Then, he bit my neck.
I screamed.
Next thing I knew, I was on the ground, my mouth and neck ached.
How am I not dead..?
I glanced behind me, and I saw a man, extending a hand down to me.

“You're one of us now. Come with me, otherwise... Let's just say your death would disappoint me.” I cautiously took his hand and we disappeared into the night.

This is definitely the darkest thing I've written.. I'm sorry XD

Anyway, Seeya next time!
-Ral

Comments

  1. Wow, that was pretty dark. ;-)
    I love that the mom used a frying pan. XD
    Nice job! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! I really want to do this too, but I'm not sure... I'm super busy and I just got way busier because I won the election for Historian at my co-op. :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      :| It's hard being busy, but if you ever feel like it, go for it! There is no limit to how little/much you can write! :D
      (Also, congrats on winning! :D)

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I really like it :D Thanks for taking part in my challenge again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plot twist! The man is her dad...
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Bella! I was thinking the man was Dracula, or Nosferatu or another famous Vampire, but it's open to speculation! :D

      Delete
  5. I could only imagine how scary living in the town of Mors would be... I do like how you didn't identify the man at the end, it leaves much room for speculation!

    I, for one, think it may be some sort of grim reaper and the creatures are off to feast and on some souls on Halloween night and that's why people have to prepare and put up defenses. Nevertheless, I found it to be a good read. I'm glad you've decided to keep participating in the writing challenge :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it'd be terrifying. Thankyou! (I do actually know who it is, but, yeah .D.)

      That's an interesting theory! Thankyou! .D.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Okay, so this happened apparently... // Taggin' Time 😀

Mart Dump (Get it? Cos it's March..? I'll leave now)

The Spaceships and Vampires Monthly Writing Challenge: December